Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Old Fears Persist

I'm doing my best to embrace Cesar Millan's philosophy that dogs want to live in the now, and it's our job to help them leave behind whatever happened to them in the past and be the dog they want to be right now. Overall, that is working well. I have more confidence in dealing with her and encouraging her to confront her fears. Sometimes my confidence and encouragement are not enough though.

She did not want to go on a walk last night AT ALL. After much coaxing and a little dragging, she did come along, but was anxious and reluctant for most of the journey. When we arrived back home, she retreated and withdrew for the remainder of the evening. Also, she still will not come when called (except for coming inside, for which I am extremely grateful!) and still cowers whenever someone walks towards her. She has not sought out any affection yet, either. I am willing to accept these things if they don't change, but I really hope things will continue to improve.

No comments: