Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day Four

Sofi had a pretty low key day today. Not too many pictures because she just isn't doing much but sleeping and will stay in the same spot for hours unless we move her.

She was more upbeat this morning, just like yesterday morning, then seemed to withdraw in the afternoon. I am still thinking it might be the evening dose of Rimadyl that helps for about half the day, then wears off. This morning, she actually rolled onto her back with her feet in the air. It's the first time I've seen her belly. I've been giving her lots of light scratching all over, which she seems to like. She's so bony that I can't really rub her without worrying about hurting her.

I read a few times on puppy mill survivor sites that you should not pick them up and take them somewhere you want them to go; instead you should be patient and wait for them to do it on their own. I tried that this morning, opening the door to let her out several times, but she wouldn't budge. I finally carried her out when I heard her whimpering. Once out, she peed and pooped a huge volume--she had to have been uncomfortable. The rest of the afternoon, she was been pretty unresponsive to any attention and seemed uneasy.

Her blood work came back, and they told me everything was within the normal range, so that's a relief. Now we'll wait for Dr. Bradley to review her chart and x-rays and let us know what we are looking at.

After her Rimadyl this evening (which she did eat mixed in with her kibble, thank goodness), she seemed a bit perkier. She especially enjoyed a deep ear massage given by Andre at bedtime. Her ears are the stinkiest part of her at this point--I think she needs something to help work the gunk out of them.

We are hoping for a tail wag pretty soon. I hope that day is not too far off.

No comments: