Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dr. Visit Number Two

This is Andre' stepping in to update Sofi's blog in Nikki's absence.
Last Night's Vet Trip:
We got her in the car and she did not freak out or pull the stuffing out of the seats or Nikki... Good!!!!
She has gained 2.2 pounds..... Good!!!!
She does not have exotic parasites.... Good!!!!
She did not pee/poo in the car on the way to or back from the Vet.... Good!!!!
She walked on a leash for Dr. Bradley..... Good!!!!!!

Dr. Bradley preformed a very long and thorough exam of Sofi. Basically nothing substantially new to report, just more specific details about her joints, possible surgical options, and general guess at her age. Dr Bradley would estimate that she is between 12 and 15 months. Dr. Bradley encouraged us to focus on her successes and be patient with her and her challenges!!!!!!!
The whole vet adventure took about two hours and we came away feeling more informed about her issues and possible steps to move forward(although a 2 hour vet trip on a school night/pre travel night was less than ideal)
  1. She received For-Bid, a medicine that is supposed to make her poop taste bad so she will stop eating it(yes that's right makes it taste bad!!!!)
  2. She received joint vitamins(dasuquin - will need to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for that)
  3. We got some basic ideas of surgical costs(see note above regarding 2nd mortgage)
Unfortunately the trip to the vet further made her scared/skittish towards me(Andre'), the only way to get her to the car was to catch her, pick her up, carry her, place her in Nikki's lap. All of which are on the top of her list of reasons to be scared of people. She did settle back in ok last night.

Today:

We got up early, Nikki went on work trip, Sofi ate, did her business outside, came back in and went to sleep. I took the kids to school, came home, scratched her ears for a few minutes then put her outside. That was seven hours ago(notice I did not include any other details of her going in and out).
I have tried just about everything I can think of to get her to come back in, she will not!!!!! I have spent the whole day working on being calm, giving her some treats, trying to get to come to me, she will follow me around at a safe distance. Here is the crazy part, she is afraid to be caught, and basically I am trying to catch her!!!!!! Not real sure how this will end, we are supposed to go to an event tonight, but I will not leave her outside!!!!
Eventually she should become hungry enough to come in... I hope!!!!
As I type Sofi is right outside the sliding glass door, if I move she moves, she wants to come in, but she is very leary, it makes me really sad to think of what she must have been through in her short life make her so frightened of people!!!!!
Update:
She did finally come in for dinner, then I had to let her out to go to the bathroom..... I left the door open for her and she came back in..... WHEW!!!!! I had Addison sneak up from outside to close the door, we got to go on our evening outing. I am getting ready to put her out for the last time before bed, hopefully she'll come back in!

No comments: